Core Characteristics of Model Schools
GOAL: WNY Maritime Charter School will become a nationally recognized model school by the U.S. Department of Education for creating equity and quality with its one-of-a-kind program for students.
- The attitude of all staff members is positive and politics, among departments, does not exist.
- The school is student-centered in all decision-making.
- Faculty members are involved and empowered to do their best work.
- Teamwork is a cornerstone philosophy for both students and staff.
- Communication and feedback is honest and frequent.
- Parents are involved in the school and supportive of its efforts.
- High expectations exist for the school, teachers, and students.
- Students want to be there.
- A fair and effective discipline program exists.
- Strong and effective leadership exists.
- Individualized instruction, with a variety of instructional techniques, is evident in classrooms.
- Achievement scores close the gap and consistently increase each year with an upward trend.
Reflective Questions for Staff and Students:
- Decision-Making: Does __________ make us a one-of-a-kind school for others to follow?
- Contribution: How am I contributing to making Maritime a model school?